Confessions of a G-List Actress: Everybody's working for the Weekend

Let me tell you, sometimes a film shoot is just a whirlwind.  

The weekend of April 22nd I was an employed actor and it was far too short.  

I woke up at 10am and threw the costume pieces I had found into a bag.  Threw my makeup into a bag.  Kissed my husband and ran out the door by 11am.

I stopped by a thrift store I like and grabbed a few small items.  Thinking, maybe it will work better than the other stuff.  I hop into the car and drive for about an hour, stop for a coffee and gasoline, hop back in the car, and get to driving.  

About three hours into the drive I come to my first traffic jam.  It starts on the opposite side of Greenville and adds an additional hour to my trip.  I have my audiobooks and lines to run through.  Hopefully, my phone will charge amidst the madness.  Turns out it is just road work and they have cut an already congested two-lane highway to one lane.  I-85 is always being repaired.  Maybe one day I will be able to drive into Charlotte at a reasonable hour on a Saturday without the extra hour.

Once I cross into NC the traffic starts to pick up and I am able to get into a groove.  Second Traffic jam hits in Burlington, NC.  Seriously?  A six-hour drive has become an 8-hour drive.  I just want to get to my hotel, grab some dinner, and take a shower.  Is that too much?  Apparently.

The lane splits and no one will let me over so I get shoved off onto a totally different highway.  UGH!!!  I get to my hotel by 6:30 and think, I just want to talk to a human.  But now I have to check in.  Having been in the car for eight hours has me just wanting to go in.  When I walk in I say "Hey, there should be a reservation for Lilly Nelson."  Nothing.  I ask about the director's name.  It's in his name.  Fine.  That is fine.  "Well, he needs to be here to check you in."  It is 6:30pm.  People are eating.  I call the director and he answers, "Hey!  Did you get in okay?"  I hand the phone to the lady at the desk, with just enough charge to count.  She answers and then says, I need a credit card on file for incidentals.

About seven or eight years ago my husband was told the same thing at a hotel and he gave them his debit. What did they do?  Charge everything to his card.  Two hotel rooms for five nights.  This alarm is flashing in my brain.  I know if I give them my credit card they are just going to take the cost of the room out of my card.  

I told the woman at the desk and she says, "No we will just put a $90 hold on the card."  That seems steep but I am tired.

Against my better judgment, I give her my card.  I get up to my room and get comfortable, charge my phone and shower.

I go out with a friend to grab food.  It is so good to see Amy.  I have never liked sushi and of course, she picks a sushi place.  I find most sushi places have amazing hibachi.  Well, there goes my diet.  The chicken Hibachi at Kashin is amazing.  I forgo a drink because I am trying to stay hydrated.

A two-hour visit is too short, but it is good to see a friend.

I drive back to my hotel and pass out listening to my lines.  

I wake up with plenty of time to spare and still get lost in the 10-minute drive to the location.  Surprise surprise, they charged my card for the hotel room.  I get the receipt for the director so he can pay me back.

I passed the location three times because my GPS told me to, still on time which means I am late.  I have always shown up to film sets early.  If you aren't 15 minutes early, you're late.

It is great to see everyone!  I have missed these people.  If the area gave me more work I would move back to NC.  Everything is greener.

Wardrobe picks my clothes.  Makeup throws makeup on my face.  We eat lunch and start shooting.  Shooting goes SO FAST.  It is a great time and I drive all the way back to Atlanta.  Bixwad and his date Irene were very happy with one another.  

When I get home I fall onto my bed unconscious.  It is glorious.  Sleep is amazing!


Comments

Popular Posts