Bitter Bloggings from and Optimistic Actress: You're gonna be a STAR!

I have decided to try and blog more.  So for the next month I am going to try to blog at least once a day, even if it's a short blurb.  Like today.

I like the character roles. Somewhere back there I really came to the conclusion in my mind that the difference between acting and stardom was major. And that if you become a star, people are going to go to see you. If you remain an actor, they're going to go and see the story you're in.

As I show people clips of the work I have done over the past few years I am amazed at how many people immediately respond, "WOW, you're going to be famous one day."  It's, very often, the only compliment people know how to give to any actor.  They are amazed at how we "get up in front of people."  Astonished we can remember lines.  Amazed at how "real" we are.  Our worst performance can be received as a golden ticket to fame.

While I know this is meant as a compliment on the job I am doing, there is a very large part of me that dies a little inside.  At times, I honestly want to punch a wall at this statement.  But I don't.  I smile and take the compliment. It's all they know to say.   Can you really fault someone for not knowing?

Why does this seemingly innocuous statement throw me into fits of rage?  Well for one thing it puts a value on my craft.  It says that good acting equals stardom therefore bad acting equals hobby or no stage time.  While I wish acting was a business where the folks who could act were promoted and those who couldn't were weeded out, sorry, it's not how it works.  See all the terrible actors out there who are still working.  There are terrible actors out there who are stars.  Why?  Because of this statement.  

Stars are their own entity really.  Look at ENTOURAGE.  Vinnie Chase is a prime example of a star.  He's attractive and popular and was given the great opportunity to act in amazing films.   

I have never heard more true words on art than those spouted from the mouth of J.K. Simmons in the trailer for Whiplash.

There are no two words in the English language more harmful than 'Good job.'  "You're gonna make it."  "You should be famous."  "I can't wait to see you're name in lights." All these statements equal one phrase.  "Good job."  Good job is mediocre.  It's okay.  It's, hey I don't know enough about you or acting to make an accurate assessment of your abilities.

What do I want to hear?  You made me feel something.  You made me think.  This is what I want.  You should be famous doesn't do me any good. 

But then again, that's just me.

Comments