Confessions of a G-List Actress: It's Raining, the End!

As in life, not everything can go perfectly smoothly.  And this past weekend was, well, lets just say rough.
My dad's birthday was on the 14th but they wanted to film that day so on Friday the 13th we threw my dad a birthday party.  For the most part it went without a hitch.  I got up early and we got party stuff.  Granted I probably should have spent that morning packing, but, hindsight and all that.  So after the party I threw some stuff in a bag and went to work for 8 hours.
While at work I finally get to read through some mail and find out call has switched to 4pm due to the weather.  After checking he weather and asking some questions I figure to is a better idea to head in the direction of filming in lieu of a last minute change.
At 11:30 pm I looked through my car and found out I had a few important items I had left at mom and dad's so I called to say I was coming to get those things.  I accidentally sent a text meant for the boyfriend to mom, saying I would be late getting into Raleigh.  So I resent to the correct recipient and picked my things up, talking to mom and dad on the way through the house I grab my things and hit the road.  I do what I always do.  Fill up the tank, grab a snack, and drive the route my GPS takes me with the music and cold air blasting.  There is no way I will fall asleep as I make my way down the interstate at 1am.
Almost 20 minutes from where I will rest my head, I figure I will alert the sleep and pillow ahead of me to prep for landing.  I pull my phone from its hidden place and there are ALOT of calls from mom dad and the boyfriend.  Where are you?  Call us!  Did you get in?
Apparently, in the birthday exhaustion, the conversation I had with mom and dad was done al la somnambulist; aka they talked to me in their sleep.  When they woke up they saw the text about 2 am and panicked and called my boyfriend thinking something had gone wrong.  Thankfully he was working a late shift and wasn't woken up.  And so there were several apologetic calls that night.
I got in and found my sleep like and old friend.  Call time still 4pm.
My eyes snap open at 9am and no matter how hard I try I can't force myself to sleep a few more precious moments.  I look outside.  No rain yet.  I pack up my things and that is when the rain hits.  So boyfriend promises me lunch at our favorite place, but there is No parking and with only a small amount of time we find another place.  I eat a burger like it is going out of style.  I get to set where I sit in the warm and dry for a few minutes before walking into the bog.
The second I step out of the car my boot is covered in mud and wet and my socks are soaked through.  The 40 degree weather is not helping so I go in to look for the heaters in the warm and dry room.  We are shooting at and old farm and all our stuff is safely in the barn.  Due to the rain we can't do more than sit and wait for the rain to let up.
We do transfer one scene indoors and shoot as quickly as we can.  Now my feet are hot, so they sweat, making my socks wet again.  I can see my breath.
One of my fellow actors has a heating pad, for lower back pain.  And, while everyone else has passed it over, I relish the heat.  Heat.  Heat.  Warmy.  Warmy.  Heat.
During the scene, we chain ourselves to one another because we have been "captured" by the enemy.  Shane has made some great manacles.  It does take a while for us to figure out who needs to be shackled to who.  One thing to note about these manacles is that I can Houdini myself out of them.  Literally, I can pull them off like a bracelet.  Ehh, why not?  It'll be funny, and the director can only say no.
Action.  Walk to mark and.  Silence.  Wait...and wait...and wait.
I think, due to the cold, lines have become problematic.  That and since most of us are in 2 thin layers it's hard to think of your lines.  The one scene where I have NOTHING to say.  We figure the order of lines and start again.
We get to a line, I jerk the manacle off, shove it in William's chest and push him forward.  I don't think he knew it was coming.  He steps up, says what he is supposed to say, and cut.
Do it again the same way from 4 different angles and it is time to run back to the warm dry room.  The warm and dry room is the feed and tack room in the barn.  I strip my socks and shoes off and they are soaked!
Oh so wet.  I hang my socks close to the heater and stick my feet as close as I can to dry my feet.  Now we have crowded about 20 people in a room 8 ft by maybe 10 ft.  People are sitting in chairs and on buckets trying to keep dry and warm.
We wait to shoot the next scene and as soon as it happens I slide into my soppy hot socks and tramp out to shoot a few lines.
Yay we sit and William is the only one with lines.  The scene is over too quickly and I return to warm an dry room to rewarm the soupy socks on my feet.  Now we are waiting for the rain to stop.  Somewhere around 9:20 the rain stops and, due to the hour, the extras are dismissed.  But now w have a problem.  Several cars are stuck in the bog.  Now we have a more pressing issue.  So now there are seven people trying to push and slog cars out of the mush and muck.  With no traction we are tearing up the beautiful property we are borrowing. 
We can't tell the owners since they have gone to bed.  I don't know how the message is relayed but it is done somehow.  After 2 hours of digging cars out of the mud we call it quits and drive home.  Oh so much mud.  I smell like sweat, horse, and swamp and my feet are pruning in my shoes.
We hear through the grape vine that call time will be later the next day.  MORE SLEEP!
The day is cool and sunny and we have four scenes to shoot and we aren't on til noon.  Due to the previous day some of us try to make the best of it and others are just in a foul mood.  Ehh, bad days happen.  After a lot of debating we choose to shoot once scene and go home.  We are so close.  
I guess I am used to a full shooting day.  Up at 6, shooting by 7, work until EVERYTHING GETS DONE.
We shoot our scene with similar complications of mud and water, but we get through it.
My reward...DATE NIGHT!  Totally worth it.

Comments