Bitter Bloggings From an Optimistic Actress: You Can't Handle the Truth

I'm not cruel person.  I never have been.  I am honest, and honesty and cruelty very often are confused for the exact same thing.  It's one of the things I dislike about the biz.

In fact, I tend to keep acting and the biz separated.  They are two different things that we do for two different reason.  The biz we do to get acting work.  Acting, we should only do, for the love and commitment to the art form.  Not for someone knowing who we are.  In fact, if the recognition is all you are out for, get a reality TV show and leave the acting to folks who want to tell stories.  But isn't it a huge validation when they do recognize you and say, wow you were great?  I would be lying if I said I didn't like to hear that my work was being recognized.  I remember getting my first real fan letter.  First person to tell me they thought I was talented.  It's a grea feeling.  But take that away.  Who would still act?  Honestly, how many of you would do this just to get to act?  Nothing else.  No recognition.  Who still wants to be an actor?  It the proverbial question.  Would you rather be an unknown brilliant actor or a terrible actor who is famous?

Hate to quote this:
Him: All I ever wanted to do was act!!!
Her: No, you wanted to be famous.

I really do my best to watch what I say, but I hate having to censor myself.  It's tiresome.  It's exhausting.  It's taking away from the thing that is most valuable when it comes to acting.  Honesty. Honesty is a very great thing.  Acting is more than just a representation of honesty.  It is honesty.  The closer to honesty we get, the better our performance becomes.  But then again I am a purist.  If I didn't have to eat or sleep or bathe I would be all about plumbing the depths of the human condition 24/7 with great gusto.

People don't like that in real life.  When you are honest, people get offended.  Guys, you know what I am talking about.  Your girlfriend asks the proverbial question,  does this make me look fat?  Yeah, that's a trap!  But if you know me you know to never ask for an opinion unless you expect the 100% truth.  That's a bad idea.  I don't like that color on you.  You look great!  Wait?  Are you getting smaller?  You aren't the be all to end all of acting.  You're being a diva and you don't have the money to do that.  Maybe you shouldn't get your SAG because you are losing yourself work.  If you think you are above everyone else you work with you might need to quit.  I have said these things to people and they get mad.  Did I mean any of these things in anger, resentment or unkindness?  No, they are honest things I only say because I care.  Diplomacy I even have trouble with on occasion because it's self censorship.  Sometimes, all people will listen to is the truth.  100% no holds barred truth.  I have been known to be disliked.  Dislike never bothers me.  Dislike, in most cases, means my opinion is a danger to your opinion.


Does anyone else think it's odd that, as actors, to get our dream job we think we need to lie?  Am I alone in spotting the inconsistency here?  We lie about our ability, lie about our type, lie about what we can and can't do, lie about the parts we have had.  The person who has never picked up an instrument in their life says, I can totally play a Harpsichord.  Someone who can't cry on cue claims to produce serious waterworks.  I was in a broadway show.  I worked with Streep.  I can tap dance on stilts on a high wire while playing the accordion and reciting Hamlet with a puppet in twelve dialects on fire.  Some of the lies are outlandish.  If you can tap dance in stilts...etc, please send a video.

Be honest with yourself.  Could you fool someone from the BBC for a moment?  If not, don't say you can do an english accent.  Can you cry for real when prepped?  If not, don't say you can cry on cue.  And the hot girl sob does not count, you know who you are.  Trying to cry and look hot at the same time.  Stop it!

What it comes down to is honesty.  That is the most important thing.  Honesty makes this career worth it.  It's what makes acting worth it.  For a moment just being real when the world is so fake.  Maybe not ourselves but still being a person who is genuine and real.

Lets make a vow to be real guys!

Comments

  1. Nice post Lilly! I knew I liked you from the first time I met you. Thank you for your honesty. But if you need to tell me something I don't want to hear, be tender. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment