Bitter Bloggings from an Optimistic Actress: HOFFMAN!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!

First of all I would like to start this day off by saying I am sorry for anyone related to Mr Phillip Seymour Hoffman or anyone who knew him.  He was a great actor and we should count ourselves lucky to have seen an actor of his magnitude in our lifetime.


Second, I would like to shed a tear for anyone else who has lost a loved one today.  I noticed on Facebook several Grandparents were lost.  There are people in different countries in different time zones who have lost people they love and know personally.
Thirdly I leave this message to all the talent of Hollywood.  Sit down Kristen Stewart, I said talent.

Dear Talented Actors of Hollywood,

STOP OVERDOSING AND KILLING YOURSELVES!!!  We look up to you for your skill.  We strive to be as brilliant and engaging.  We pay thousands of dollars of money we have scraped together over months to be able to take a class that you may have taken in the hopes of being able to work with you.  Know you.  Learn from you.

Goodness knows Hollywood is filled with untalented actors and bad cinema.  The worthless talentless of society flock in droves to Hollywood for the money and fame, and Hollywood gives it to them.  Hollywood has cut down on the opportunity for brilliance by casting for looks, casting for money, hiring people who should never be on camera.  They have turned something so amazing and beautiful, our great storytelling art, into something ugly and brutal and commercialized.  HOW DARE YOU!

The younger generation of artists are fed a watered down version of what brilliance is and how it is meant to be.  They don't know the beauty and innocence of a Natalie Wood.  The regal honesty of a Rosalind Russel.  The elegance of an Audrey Hepburn.  They don't know the grit of a Paul Newman or the Comedy of a Jack Lemon.  Sure they could seek these out, but when you are fed chopped liver your whole life while those around you call it veal, are you going to believe there is anything better?  The younger generation are unlikely to have seen good cinema, because you have to look for good cinema.

And it's only going to get worse.  Can you imagine a world where the performances given in a Twilight or The Room receive an Oscar nod?  Or even worse, an Oscar?

We recognize the work of being an actor.  It's hard.  I myself work several jobs and am a working actor.  I get it.  I may not have the tabloid pressure, or the money loss.  I haven't had the opportunities to be in the fame game.  I can imagine it's quite a monster.  I know how destroyed I am when I lose opportunities for smaller roles, roles you haven't had in years.  And who am I to tell you to stop with the drugs?  You're big and famous and I am small potatoes.

I am one of at least one million people.  Someone who looks up to you.

I am trying to hard to be where you are so that I can be a storyteller, just like you.  I want to make people cry and laugh and feel deep emotions they've forgotten about.

What does it say when you can't handle the stress and pressure?  What does it say when you don't go to rehab and don't stick with it?  It's a moment of selfishness.

Please be strong, not for Hollywood, but for the art.  For that thing that drives us to be crazy and mad.  For the millions of people who look up to you and want you to be all those things you are.  Just stop.  Please stop.  Just...be here.

-A Friend

Comments