Unrequited Love

I got to thinking about Final Fantasy today.  Specifically number 8.  I specifically love the sad love story of Julia and Leguna.
For those not familiar with the story it's very simple.  Leguna is a soldier in the army and every evening he and his buddies go to a hotel where there is a bar.  In this bar is a piano player named Julia.  Leguna comes every night to see her play and in the story, he finally talks to her.  Not knowing she had noticed him coming in night after night he almost doesn't go up to her room when she invites him.  They get to talking and, in the short time they are together, they fall in love.  He is called away suddenly, promising to come back to hear her sing.  He never does.
He is injured and when he finally could go and find her she has gotten married and written a lovely song about her lost love.  She dies in a car crash a few years later.  All the while Leguna has gotten married to another woman.  Both have children and through their children they are together.
I love tragic love stories.  When two people love one another so much and can't be together.  Somehow by the distance and the love they still care for one another.
Probably why I liked Michelle so much.  She was unable to ever be with Jake, but she loved him.
I have a love for the tragic.  Sadness, tears.  I hope when people in heaven leave to go wherever you go in heaven...I hope I can miss them.  I hope it won't be sinful to cry in heaven.  Is sadness really a sin.  Missing someone?  Wanting to be with someone?
Perhaps that is why I have loved Darren Hayes music.  It' so tragic.  Probably why Jason Pomar always appeals.  His music is tragic.  I have a love for the melancholy.  For wanting something, for needing.  That moment when you want to hold onto someone until they become a part of you.  It's part of the artist in me.  It's why no one ends up together in my plays or films.  I like leaving that longing and need.    God, I suppose, has a great deal of longing.  He doesn't need us.  He wants us.  It's not a sin to want is it?  It is a sin to want something more than you want God, but is God's nature not that of want?  The whole history of man and God is one of God wanting to talk to us, to be with us, to want us to need him.  Even when we are most successful it's not perfect.  If God's love is limitless, is not his want for us to be with him the same.  That want was not a flaw.  It was something he put in us.  A hunger.  A need for fulfillment that will only be satiated in death and rebirth with him.  He was lonely when he created us.  God was lonely.  If God is perfect and he was lonely, then loneliness can't be a sin.  Longing, can't be, so long as is doesn't destroy you or others.
That's where we as people haven't gotten it right.  To accept the longing and go on with life.  It consumes, destroys.  That's where the sin is.

Comments